- Army: soldiers, total war, praetorians, legions, navy, flag,
battle, machines &c.
- Art: general intro, statues, theatre, painting, pottery, music,
mosaics, frescos &c.
- Augustus and the empire: empire, augustus, pax romana
- Building and Engineering: architecture, aqueducts, roads, houses,
basilica, technology, columns, buildings, bridges, arches, water, domes,
- Circus: Circus Maximus, chariots, games, other circuses. Social
- Class and Social Struggle in ancient Rome: Class, slaves, Senators,
Equestrians, Patricians, women, children, plebs, population, family.
- Colosseum: The building, amphitheatres, shows, map
- Constantine and Christianisation: Constantine, Arch of Constantine
- Dress and Clothing: Clothing, Tunic, Togas, Fashion, Costumes,
Jewelry, Footwear and shoes, weddings, hair.
- Early Christianity: Christian persecutions, the palaeo-Christians,
St. Peter & St. Paul, St. Augustin, the Catacombs, St. Peter's basilica.
See also Emperor Constantine.
- Economy of Ancient Rome: money, gold, trade, economy
- Every day life and labour: numbers, a day in the life...,
transport, jobs, homes, doctors, animals, light. Also, see clothes, food,
schools, social class.
- Fall of the Roman Empire of the West: Fall of Rome, why the fall of
Rome? Romulus Augustulus, Society, Holy Roman Empire
- Five Good Emperors: Hadrian, Trajan, Marcus Aurelius
- Food: General food, drink, meals, bread, food of the rich and poor,
- Forum: about the forums in ancient Rome.
- Games, Sport and Passtimes: Baths, games, toys, entertainment,
gambling, sex, prostitution and orgies, plays & theatre.
- The Gladiators: types of gladiators, gladiator training and
training schools, Commodus, women gladiators. Weapons, profession and life,
- Government and Law: Senate, government, punishment, law & laws,
development of Roman law, politics, morality, praetors & other
magistrates. Social structure vs Government vs Military power.
- Julio Claudian Dynasty: Nero, Caligula, Caesars, Claudius,
- Julius Caesar and End of the Republic: Cleopatra, Julius Caesar's
life, biography and death, Shakespeare (a must really), Omens, Timeline,
- Literature: Virgil, Aenid, Livy, Plutarch, Tacitus, Poetry
- Maps: ancient Rome, The empire and bits thereof, Pompeii, Tiber,
Colosseum, Hadrian's wall, Julius Caesar's battles, Republic, empire under
Augustus and Hadrian. Ostia, Forum.
- Origins of Rome: Romulus and Remus, Aeneas, Etruscans, Latium,
Gods, Sabines, Rhea Silvia, the She Wolf.
- Other Emperors: General list and brief notes, Justinian, Valerian,
Charlemagne (can't miss him out although he wasn't really a
"proper" Emperor of ancient Rome), the raunchy Elagabalus, Galba,
- The Pantheon: General description, images, Architecture and
construction techniques, various uses, mystical purpose of.
- Religion: Gods and Goddesses also including Mars, Venus, Jupiter,
Hercules, Janus, Asclepius, Isis, moon, sun, planetary gods, religious
festivities & rites, calendar, marriage, Vestal Virgins, earth, temples,
love, Diana, Aurora, Juno, Quirinus, Pantheon, Death and Funerals.
- Republic and Social Struggle: The republic, Scaevola the left
handed, The Gracchi-revolutionary forefathers.
- Republic in Crisis: Marius, Sulla, Julius Caesar (see Caesar
- Roman Britain: Hadrian's wall, Claudius, Daily life, England and
Europe, antique map of Roman britain.
- Roman Coins: Julius Caesar, the development of Roman coins,
manufacture, antique print of Roman coins, names, value.
- Roman Weapons: General description, swords, shields, armor, spear,
- Romanticism: This section is tied together with the later history
of Rome, including The Middle ages & Medieval Rome, Renaissance Rome,
Baroque Rome, The reformation and counter reformation, The Holy inquisition
and other bits and bobs which came after ancient Rome.
- Rome City: weather, Tiber river, Geography, Pictures & maps,
- Schools: Schools and learning in ancient Rome. Education and higher
education. Libraries in ancient Rome.
- Seven Kings of Rome: See section on origins but each King deserves
a particular mention. The Etruscan Tarquins, Priscus, Horatii, Alba Longa,
Tarquinius Superbus &c.
- Shopping in Ancient Rome: They too had traffic in the centre of
town and loads of shops in the forum and streets. Retail therapy wasn't a
- St. Peter's basilica: Was started during antiquity. Built over a
Circus - one of the various places where St. Peter was supposed to have been
crucified in Rome. The square, the tomb and Popes.
- The Vestal Virgins: origins, duties, their temple and home.
There is also...
- A"Generic" category - to cover anything which didn't quite fit
in the preceding headings! Includes things like ancient Roman numbers,
writing, names, quotes etc.
- Other materials include images, lists of popes and emperors, an extensive
Timeline with events, rulers of the city, art etc.